Better Than Television

Thursday, January 19, 2006

From Racism to Sexism

I’ve been intrigued by Kanye West from the time I heard the hit Jesus Walks. I’ve watched him perform at the Grammy’s along side the Blind Boys of Alabama and make headlines by famously alleging, “George Bush doesn't care about black people." Partly inspired by seeing the trailers for “Jarhead” which feature the infectious rhythms of Jesus Walks, I finally decided to check out the album, “The College Dropout”, for myself.

To be honest I had very high expectations. I was expecting to hear artistic music and witty socially conscious lyrics as manifested in Jesus Walks. The first six tracks or so are exactly that and I was excited that I finally bought this album. But starting with the track, Get Em High the tone of the album shifts from condemning racism to glorifying sexism. Lines like, “Tell me who’s invited your friends and my d*ck”, or “See you is my new chick, so we get our grind on” demonstrate the relegation of women as servants and sexual objects and elevation on the males (not men but males) to a position of control.

I no longer know what to make of Kanye West. On one hand I admire the musical talent and lyrics condemning the continued subjugation of Africans, African Americans and African Canadians. At the same time though I find myself searching for a voice that speaks out about these issues that has not bankrupted itself from any position of moral high ground by viewing women in the same way it publicly blasts the president for treating black people.

Kanye! Keep working for social change because you have the voice in our culture to accomplish great things. But as you stand up for yourself and others of your heritage don’t forget to defend the value of your mother, wife and daughters with equal passion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home