Better Than Television

Friday, June 15, 2007

Three Things I've Learned From Catholic Tradition

Over the last week I've been able to participate in Catholic mass daily at the Mother House (picture). While there are aspects of the liturgy I don't understand or appreciate I do think that evangelical Christians can learn something from Catholic tradition.

Focus on the Eucharist
The entire event of public gathering for mass is centered on the Eucharist or communion. Catholic theology holds that by the priests blessing of the brad and wine it turns into the actual body and blood of Christ. While I think this would be hard to prove biblically and impossible to prove scientifically, I think I can learn something from it. It reminds me that Christ is with us in a very real sense here on the earth. Even though his blood and body probably aren’t on the alter his real self is beside me in my actions daily. It reminds me that I need to rely on Christ for my physical and spiritual sustenance. The spiritual part isn't new but the idea of relying on Christ for my food is new. I'm leaning that maybe that's what fasting is about in a way. Learning that Christ is enough to keep us going. One of the sisters suggested to me that it is only by partaking of Christ daily that she has the strength to do her work each day.

Focus on Corporate Prayer
Much of the liturgy of mass consists of reciting prayers together corporately. I've always been hesitant incorporate this type of worship into Awaken when I lead because it too often seems like mindless recitation. There are two positive aspects to it though that I've learned here. Firstly it builds community by acknowledging together that we, the church, are in need of God's divine intervention in our corporate life today. At the beginning of mass we all read a public confession stating that we (each in the community) have sinned. Secondly it leads us to private prayer. I'm not very good at praying as a generalization but I have found myself praying the morning prayers myself as I work and the natural outflow is to continue in new prayer.

Focus on Respect for God
Respect for God the Father and Jesus is key in the Catholic tradition. From bowing a knee when entering the room, to bowing low when the Eucharist is being blessed, to standing when the Gospels are read; it is evident we are worshiping a greatly respected God and not a friendly acquaintance or flirtatious boyfriend. Of course we are told by Jesus to call God “Abba” as well so this emphasis is not perfect but it has been good to be reminded of the greatness of God and the respect he is due.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Luke,
    I'm glad that you are having a great experience and learning lots, on behalf of Awaken and personally I am looking forward to hearing you share about your adventure more thoroughly.
    Take care and see you soon.
    eric

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home